Are you a fashion blogger that wants to get more traffic from search engines? In this SEO for fashion bloggers guide, I’m going to show you how it can be done.
What Are Keywords?
“SEO is the process of getting traffic from the search results on search engines.” Search Engine Land
As a blogger, you want to diversify your traffic sources to protect yourself from having all of your eggs in one basket and then losing your golden egg.
SEO is one of many ways to get traffic to your site. When you do it, you are telling Google what your webpages are about.
At a minimum, it’s really important to show up on the first page of Google for your keyword. Search Engine Watch reports that 91.7% of all the traffic goes to the first page. The remaining 8.3% goes to the rest of the pages.
|Google Result Page Rank||Average Traffic Share|
What Is Domain Authority?
“Domain Authority (DA) is a search engine ranking score developed by Moz that predicts how well a website will rank on search engine result pages (SERPs). A Domain Authority score ranges from one to 100, with higher scores corresponding to a greater ability to rank.” Moz
Keysearch uses DA and knowing what your site’s DA is will help you identify what keyword Score you can target. Use Small SEO Tools free tool to check your Domain Authority. I put my site in and it says that my DA is 21.
The competitiveness of a keyword ranges from very easy to very difficult.
As your DA grows, you’ll be able to target more competitive keywords. For now, focus on ones that have a score of 25 or less.
Related Content: How Do Fashion Bloggers Make Money? 5 Proven Strategies
What Is Search Engine Optimization (SEO)?
“Keywords are one of the most important aspects of search engine optimization, and are very important to your success.” Laura Lynch
Keywords are the words and phrases that people use when they search for something on a search engine.
When you’re doing keyword research (more about this below), you’ll be able to tell how many people search for a particular keyword and how competitive it is. Ideally you want to shoot for a keyword that gets a fair amount of traffic and is easy to rank for.
Why Are Keywords Important?
“As a business, they’re important because you want to come up in search engines when people search for the keywords or phrases that are relevant to your products or services.” Nigel Reece
If Google and other search engines do not know what your posts are about, then searchers will never find them. This is something I wish I had learned early on in my blogging career.. It’s not a coincidence that my first few blogs didn’t get any traffic from Google.
You want to show up for your brand and the keywords you’ve selected. Your blog’s success is determined by the traffic you get. It’s hard to make money from affiliate marketing and ads with little traffic.
How Do You Find Keywords?
“The power of keyword research lies in better understanding your target market and how they are searching for your content, services, or products.” Moz
Keywords are found through a process called keyword research. You’ll find these keywords in a variety of ways, but most often through a keyword tool. Some are free and some are not. My experience has been that the free tools are pretty limited and that some tools are quite expensive.
Keyword Research Tools
Nowadays it seems like every company has a keyword research tool. When I first started blogging, there were only a few.
1. Answer The Public
This free SEO tool will take the keyword you enter in and suggest additional keywords that start with who, what, where, when, and how. For example, I searched “fashion blogging” and it generated 239 keyword ideas. Here are some of them:
- Who started fashion blogging
- What’s fashion blogging
- When did fashion blogging start
- Why I quit fashion blogging
- How to succeed in fashion blogging
I’ve been using Keysearch for a while now and love it! I love it because of the simplicity, price, and what it can do.
It normally costs $17/month, but if you sign up today through my link, you’ll will save 20%. Use code KSDISC at checkout to bring the cost down to $13.60/month! If you get an annual plan and use the code, it will only cost you $11.27/month.
What Can You Do With Keysearch?
For the price, I’ve been blown away with what you can do with it. Dan, the founder, has made a sweet sweet tool for a remarkable price. You’ll find that it’s easy to use and helps you get the data you need to succeed with SEO.
Here are 4 things you can do with Keysearch.
- Track your keyword rankings. Peter Drucker said, “If you can’t measure it, you can’t improve it.” Tracking your keywords is a must! I’ve found that SEO is something that’s not a set and forget it thing. You’ll have to tweak and improve your content over time. Every time you do, you should see your keyword ranking improve. You’ll be empowered with more data. Keysearch, at the lowest plan, allows you to track 80 keywords.
- Keyword research. I used to hate keyword research, but now I love it. Keysearch has made this process so easy. It assigns a score to every keyword, shows you the monthly search volume for it, and shows you the domain metrics of the websites that currently rank for the keyword you’re searching for.
- See what backlinks a competitor has. Keysearch’s Explore tab will tell you everything you need to know about your competitors. Knowing where your competitors are getting their backlinks from helps you understand how they are ranking and where you can get links as well. There’s a good chance that if someone links to a competitor of yours, they’ll likely link to you too.
- See what keywords a competitor ranks for. If you know what keywords your competitors are ranking for, then you can make plans to create content that targets those same keywords.
How To Use Keysearch To Find Keywords
This tool has made it very easy to identify the monthly search volume and competition score for keywords. To start finding keywords, click Keyword Research and type in a seed keyword. A seed keyword is the keyword you use to start your research with. It will allow you to find related keywords.
Choose your location and select Related Keywords. Since I’m based in the U.S. and want to target readers in the U.S, I choose United States for the location and hit Search.
Keysearch is now going to bring up a list of hundreds of keywords that you’re going to want to evaluate. The columns to pay attention to are Volume and Score. For volume, pick a keyword that has a bare minimum of 50 Volume.
Related Content: How To Start A Fashion Blog: 6 Easy Steps
Where Should These Keywords Go?
Once you’ve found a keyword that you want to optimize for, it’s time to place it strategically in your post. There are 5 places you want to put it.
- Article Title/Meta Title
- Meta Description
- Naturally within the first 100 words
- In the header tags (H2, H3)
- In the image alt text
Off Page SEO
“Off-Page SEO refers to all of the activities that you and others do away from your website to raise the ranking of a page with search engines.” Neil Patel
If you’ve made it this far and have found keywords and optimized your posts with them, then you’re well on your way to having your site show up in the search results.
Your next step, which is very important, is to start getting links to your site. These links are almost always called backlinks.
Why Are Backlinks Important?
“The number of backlinks is an indication of the popularity or importance of that website.” WebConfs
Search engines treat backlinks as a vote of confidence. They think that a site with a lot of backlinks must be a site that is worth reading.
There are four ways backlinks help you:
- Better rankings. If your fashion blog gets a lot of backlinks, then your blog posts are going to start showing up higher in the search engines.
- More traffic. If you’re in the top three spots, you’re going to get a lot of traffic.
- Increased Domain Authority (DA). Backlinks increase your website’s domain authority. With a strong DA you’re able to target more competitive search terms with your posts.
- More money. Increased traffic to your blog is going to help you make more affiliate income, get paid sponsorships, and earn ad revenue.
Don’t let anyone convince you that you don’t need backlinks. Google says, “Make sure that other sites link to yours.” Before you start building links, make sure you keep reading.
How Can You Get Backlinks?
There are lots of ways to get them, some bad and some good. Over the years I’ve tried lots of link building tactics and some have hurt my organic traffic.
My biggest piece of advice would be to not worry too much about building links. Instead, focus on creating awesome content that people will want to link to. Some of my best links have come from doing this.
According to Moz, awesome content is content that’s “10x content is content that is 10 times better than the highest ranking result for a given keyword(s).” Watch Rand Fiskin explain how to create this type of content.
To come up with content that’s 10 times better than what’s on Google currently, spend some time analyzing the search results and ask yourself, “what can I write that will make this article even better?”
Sometimes to achieve this, you just need to do the following:
- Make the content look good on mobile devices.
- Make the content more detailed and include authoritative links to back up what you’re saying
- Include pictures, graphs, and videos
Linkbuilding Tactics To Avoid
The goal of SEO is to get found in the search engines, but often times bloggers do things to get their site de-listed. If Google catches you doing any of the following, the same will happen to you.
According to Google, here are four methods that you want to avoid doing:
- Buying or selling links that pass PageRank. This includes exchanging money for links, or posts that contain links; exchanging goods or services for links; or sending someone a “free” product in exchange for them writing about it and including a link
- Excessive link exchanges (“Link to me and I’ll link to you”) or partner pages exclusively for the sake of cross-linking
- Large-scale article marketing or guest posting campaigns with keyword-rich anchor text links
- Using automated programs or services to create links to your site.
Fashion bloggers, what SEO questions do you have for me? Comment below!
If you found this article helpful, please pin this image: