Leggings have been in style for a while now and for a good reason. They’re cute, they’re comfortable, and they can add warmth to your outfit. In this post I’ll give you my best tips for wearing leggings modestly.
How To Dress Modestly Tip #1 – Cover Up
You want to cover your butt and crotch area with something else. Covering them with leggings is not enough because they’re generally somewhat thin and very tight.
They will show every crevice and curve. You don’t want others to basically be able to see your butt or if you have camel toe.
Related Content: How To Style Overalls: 14 Stylish Ideas To Try
Tip #2 – Long tops
Wearing shirts or sweaters that are long helps cover up the above mentioned areas of your body. A tunic is great for this because it is a long shirt that usually hits at about mid-thigh.
Tip #3 – Loose tops
Loose tops are good to wear with leggings. This is because leggings are already tight and wearing a tight shirt with them makes your whole outfit form-fitting. I love the look of a loose top with black leggings for women.
Tip #4 – Wear a cardigan or jacket
Cardigans and jackets are typically longer than shirts, so think about wearing one of these to get even more length and coverage. It’s really cute to wear a long, knee length coat with leggings.
Related Content: How To Style Jean Jackets: 12 Outfit Ideas To Copy
Tip #5 – Wear a dress
If you wear modest dresses with your leggings, then you’re sure to have all the coverage you need. You might wonder why some people wear leggings with a dress if the dress is already modest.
The leggings add a fun flair to the outfit and they will keep your legs warmer in colder months. You can also wear a short dress and still it be modest by wearing leggings underneath, if you’re comfortable with it.
Tip #6 – Wear a skirt
If you have a skirt you’ve been wanting to wear, but it’s just a tad too short, then wear it over some leggings. These two items will come together for a modest outfit.
Tip #7 – Make sure the fabric is not see-through
Sadly, a lot of leggings are made with cheap, thin material that is often see-through. It is not modest to wear sheer leggings or tights and show your whole leg. This is why you need to make sure that the fabric of your leggings is thick enough that is not see-through.
Myths about leggings
- Leggings can only be worn to the gym. This is false. Where you wear them just depends on what the rest of your outfit is.
- Leggings are pants. I think this depends on the person. From a modesty perspective, no leggings are not pants. But there are people who do choose to wear them this way.
- Leggings aren’t sophisticated. This is another false myth. Leggings are very fashionable and can easily be dressed up.
- Not everyone can wear leggings. This myth is also false. Just like with anything, you’ll need to know how to style them for your body type, but anyone can certainly wear them.
- Leggings are uncomfortable. Whoever said this has either never worn leggings or they haven’t had them in the right size. Leggings are insanely comfy and that is a big reason why they have become so popular.
Popular questions about leggings
Leggings can be modest depending on what is worn with them. At a bare minimum your bum and front need to be covered, but it is best when you have a dress, tunic, or something else covering your legs from about the knees up.
This depends on the church you go to. I suggest wearing them with a knee-length dress or skirt to be safe. You could also ask your leaders to see what they think for your specific church.
The main reason leggings slide down is because they’re not the right size and they’re too big. Another reason is that the fabric or elastic band could be stretched. You probably need to buy a size smaller or buy a new pair that isn’t worn out yet.
Which of these tips for how to wear leggings modestly are you going to try?
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.