Do you have a favorite pair of leggings that you wear over and over again? If you do, you may have noticed that some of the pant parts have started pilling and wearing out.
It’s saddening to have to let go of your favorite clothing items even when they’re old and worn, but doing repairs and preventive care can help them last longer.
In particular, this blog post will discuss how to prevent pilling in your leggings so you can continue to wear your favorite pair.
What is Pilling?
Pilling is a condition that can affect clothing and other fabric items. It occurs when small balls of fiber form on the surface of the fabric.
These balls of fiber are often difficult to remove and can make the fabric look worn or damaged. Pilling is most likely to occur on fabrics that are made from natural fibers such as cotton or wool.
It can also occur on synthetic fabrics such as polyester or nylon. While pilling is not harmful to the fabric, it can be unsightly and cause the garment to look old, prompting the need for a replacement.
What Causes Pilling in Leggings?
Pilling in leggings can be caused by a number of factors, including friction, abrasion, and moisture. Friction is the primary cause of pilling, as the repetitive action creates tiny balls of fabric on the surface of the leggings.
Abrasion can also cause pilling, as it wears down the fibers of the fabric and causes it to appear thinner in certain areas. Moisture from your sweat can also exacerbate pilling, as it allows the fibers to move around more freely and creates additional friction.
Related Content: How To Style Leather Leggings
How to Prevent Pilling in Leggings
Pilling is a common issue with leggings, but there are ways to prevent it! Here are a few tips:
- Choose the right material. Some materials are more prone to pilling than others, so be sure to select a fabric that is less likely to pill. Synthetic fabrics like polyester and nylon are more resistant to pilling than natural fabrics like cotton and wool.
- Wash your leggings properly. Washing your leggings in a gentle cycle and letting them air dry will help reduce pilling. Avoid using fabric softener, and instead opt for a mild detergent.
- Avoid rubbing or scrubbing your leggings. This can actually cause pilling, so be sure to handle them gently. You should also stay away from abrasive surfaces like concrete and unfinished wood as the garment fabric can catch on rough surfaces.
- Store your leggings properly. Storing your leggings in a drawer or closet where they won’t rub against other fabrics will help prevent pilling.
- Avoid wearing your leggings when you’ll be sitting down for long periods of time. This will help reduce the amount of friction that causes pilling.
How to Remove Pills from Leggings
If your leggings have already started to pill, don’t panic! There are a few simple ways to get them to look new again.
First, try using a lint roller. A lint roller can be a quick and easy way to remove pills from leggings. Simply roll the lint roller over the surface of the leggings, moving in one direction only.
Be sure to apply gentle pressure so as not to damage the fabric. Once you’ve gone over the entire surface, check for any remaining pills and remove them with your fingers or a pair of tweezers.
You can also try gently shaving the pills off with a razor. Just lay your leggings flat on a surface and gently shave the pills off with the blade. Be sure to go slowly and be careful not to cut the fabric.
If those methods don’t work, or if you’re worried about using a plain razor, you can always try using a commercial fabric shaver. Start by ensuring that the shaver is clean and sharp.
This will help to avoid any further damage to the fabric. Use a light touch when shaving, as pressing too hard can cause the shaver to snag on the fabric and damage it.
Move the shaver in small, circular motions over the area where there are pills. Be sure to check the area afterwards for any missed pills.
Once you’re satisfied that all of the pills have been removed, put your leggings back on and enjoy them looking like new again!
After removing the pills from your leggings, take steps to prevent them from coming back. Wash your leggings inside-out in cold water and air dry them whenever possible.
Avoid putting them in the dryer, as the heat can cause new pills to form.
Getting pills in leggings can be a real pain, but luckily there are a few things you can do to prevent it. Follow these tips and you can be sure that your leggings will continue to look great for longer!